Friday, August 23, 2013

Red Velvet Syrup

I love Red Velvet cake, no argument about it. It's a traditional Southern dessert that my family has kept around for many holidays and get togethers. After we quit the food business, I've been missing the red velvet cupcakes I used to make everyday. I saw a few recipes that used the red velvet cake emulsion, which had great reviews, so naturally I bought it and the cream cheese emulsion. There were many recipes I had in my head that were sure enough fool proof.
The sad thing is, I don't believe anyone in this world knows what true red velvet cake tastes like. I've seen where people describe it as chocolate cake with red food coloring, white cake with red color, red butter pound cake, and horrible box cake mix you can buy that oozes out red. This is not at all what the real thing is like. It has no identifiable taste, it's not chocolate, its not vanilla, its just "Red Velvet". A true southern cake has sugar, cocoa, vanilla, eggs, flour, salt, buttermilk, baking soda, vinegar, and of course red food coloring. It's either topped with the roux icing or cream cheese buttercream.
So needless to say, the emulsions were nowhere near the flavor of what I grew up with. The red velvet tasted like raspberry and the cream cheese was nearly butterscotch, and it disappoints me to know that someone out there in this world really thinks that is what this wonderful cake tastes like. So sad. To all of you, I suggest eating an actual baked from scratch cake.

So after my failed attempt to make a syrup for iced coffees using said emulsions, I buckled down and experimented and made my own; something I wish I had done before wasting my money.
Add this to your coffee for a rich mocha flavor, or add to hot milk for a velvety hot chocolate. You can also use this syrup in pancakes, waffles, and oatmeal for an extra added flavor.



Red Velvet Cake Syrup
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup soy/rice milk + 1 T vinegar for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup sugar
4 T cocoa powder
3 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
Red food coloring to your desired color
1 tsp vinegar + 1 tsp baking soda
2T cheesecake powdered pudding 
1 T red food coloring paste

Combine buttermilk, sugar, cocoa, 3 tsp vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring.  Cook using a whisk to mix well. Take off heat and in a separate bowl mix the vinegar and baking soda and stir well and add to mix. The mix will foam and then you can add the cheesecake powder.

Cream cheese frosting whipped cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 T cheesecake powdered pudding 
Or
 2 T cheesecake powdered pudding
1 package Dream whip
1/2 milk of your choice
 
  Whip with whisk until stiff peaks form





3 comments:

  1. I really love your blog. Thanks for sharing.
    Stud Bracelets

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the buttermilk, what is the shelf life for this? I would love to use it in my espresso stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator, but it could last longer if you didn't use it all.

      Delete